“What is a language?
Here are some definitions of language:
- a systematic means of communicating by the use of sounds or conventional symbols
- a system of words used in a particular discipline
- the code we all use to express ourselves and communicate to others
- a set (finite or infinite) of sentences, each finite in length and constructed out of a finite set of elements
These definitions describe language in terms of the following components:
- A vocabulary of symbols or words
- A grammar consisting of rules of how these symbols may be used
- A community of people who use and understand these symbols
- A range of meanings that can be communicated with these symbols
Each of these components is also found in the language of mathematics.